Tooth-colored Fillings: Lifespan and Aftercare
Untreated tooth decay can lead to major oral health problems. Tooth-colored dental fillings can prevent tooth decay from advancing and restore oral health and appearance. Proper care and maintenance can prolong the lifespan of tooth-colored fillings. Follow these aftercare tips from our Boston practice, Dental Associates of New England. We will help you maintain your tooth-colored fillings so they look their best for years to come.
The Lifespan of Tooth-colored Fillings
Tooth-colored fillings are extremely durable and made of either porcelain or composite resin. Porcelain and composite resin can be colored to match the surrounding tooth for a seamless blend. Tooth-colored fillings last as long or longer than traditional metal fillings, with many lasting well over a decade. Though tooth-colored fillings are made of durable material, their lifespan can be affected by their aftercare. Poor oral hygiene can lead to oral health issues like tooth decay and gum disease, which in turn can shorten the lifespan of tooth-colored fillings.
Tooth-colored Fillings Aftercare Tips
Tooth-colored fillings require proper aftercare to improve their lifespan. Gum disease and tooth decay can cause tooth-colored fillings to require early replacement. The key to prolonging the lifespan of tooth-colored fillings is to practice good oral hygiene. Follow these aftercare tips to keep your tooth-colored fillings looking and functioning their best.
- Brush at least twice a day, everyday: It's important to brush your teeth at least twice a day, everyday, to reduce the risk of gum disease and tooth decay. When brushing, pay special attention to the gum line and back teeth. Also, be sure to brush for a full two minutes each time you brush.
- Floss at least once a day, everyday: Flossing everyday reduces the risk of gum disease, removing plaque from between the teeth and below the gum line. When flossing, be sure to sweep the floss fully up and down along each side of each tooth and into the gum line.
- Rinse your mouth with water between brushings: Rinse your mouth with water in between brushing and after meals. This removes food remnants and bacteria from the mouth, reducing the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash: Rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash after brushing and flossing to further reduce the risk of gum disease, keep your teeth healthy, and help your tooth-colored fillings to look their best.
- Don't skip regular dental check-ups and cleanings: Regular dental check-ups and cleanings are vital to oral health and ensuring dental restorations, including tooth-colored fillings, will last as long as possible.
- Don't chew on hard items: Chewing on metal or plastic pen caps, fingernails, or even ice can cause damage to tooth-colored fillings.
Schedule a Consultation
Proper oral hygiene is important to maintaining a beautiful smile. Proper aftercare can ensure tooth-colored fillings last as long as possible. To find out more about tooth-colored fillings or to discuss other treatments, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with the Dental Associates of New England.