Invisalign® vs. Braces
One of the most common issues seen by the cosmetic dentists at Dental Associates of New England in Boston is crooked, misaligned teeth. While braces can address the issues that cause a patient’s teeth to become misaligned, they can be painful, cumbersome, and uncomfortable for the wearer. Many patients that could greatly benefit from treatment ignore their alignment issues simply because they do not want to wear metal braces. Indeed, many men and women mistakenly believe that they cannot achieve a perfectly straight, dazzling smile without having a mouth full of conspicuous metal braces. While in the past, the only effective treatment option for orthodontic issues was metal braces, there is now a revolutionary treatment available: Invisalign®! The Invisalign® system enables teens and adults to inconspicuously and comfortably correct their orthodontic issues.
Alignment Issues: Invisalign® vs. Braces
As with traditional metal braces, Invisalign® aligners can effectively treat a wide variety of cases, including:
- Underbite: Typically caused by an undergrowth of the upper jaw or the overgrowth of the lower jaw, an underbite occurs when the lower teeth protrude past the front teeth. This alignment issue may result in premature wear to the teeth. It is common for a patient with an underbite to experience joint problems and pain in the jaw.
- Overbite: When the upper teeth bite over the lower teeth it is called an overbite. This condition is especially dangerous because patients with this condition are more susceptible to tooth fractures, chipped teeth, and to gum disease.
- Overly crowded teeth: Overly crowded teeth are a result of a patient’s jaw being too small for the amount of teeth within. Unfortunately, it is common for this condition to worsen over time.
- Crossbite: Crossbite occurs when the lower jaw and the upper jaw are both misaligned. This condition can result in abnormal wear of the teeth, as well as chipping.
- Spaced teeth: In some cases, the jaw continues to grow, causing spaces to occur between the teeth. Spaces between the teeth may also result from missing teeth.
Creating a Straight, Dazzling Smile with Invisalign®
While traditional metal braces still have a place in dentistry, they are no longer a patient’s only option in the treatment of alignment issues. With metal braces, the first thing a person notices about the wearer’s smile is his or her braces. Invisalign® aligners are virtually undetectable when worn, yet are highly effective in the treatment of extensive alignment issues.
During the Invisalign® treatment process, a series of custom-crafted aligners gently and slowly guide the teeth into their optimal positions over a period of one to two years. Approximately every two weeks, a new aligner is switched out for the next in the series. This continues until the treatment process is complete. About every six weeks, a patient will have a dental check-up to monitor his or her progress.
Unlike metal braces, Invisalign® aligners can be removed for up to two hours a day. This allows patients to easily floss and brush their teeth. Good oral hygiene is difficult to maintain with metal braces. The flossing and brushing process associated with metal braces can be time-consuming. Patients are also not able to enjoy all of the foods they love when wearing metal braces. With Invisalign® aligners, patients can eat foods that are impossible to eat when wearing traditional braces.
Issues of misalignment threaten the integrity of your teeth. If left untreated, a patient can experience pain, tooth loss, and gum problems. With Invisalign® aligners, you can inconspicuously achieve the smile of your dreams. To learn more about the Invisalign® treatment or metal braces, please contact Dental Associates of New England today.